Development & Marketing Coordinator
The Maine Center for Public Interest Reporting is looking for an ambitious, energetic professional to manage the nonprofit’s development and marketing efforts. This position, under the supervision of the executive editor, is responsible for implementing the Center’s development plan, including identifying and pursuing grant opportunities and individual donors, maintaining a database of all contacts and assisting with occasional public and private events. The successful candidate will also use marketing best practices to raise the Center’s visibility, increase readership of its work and boost engagement with its audience. Some office-management and basic accounting duties are also involved in this position.
Since its founding in 2009, the Center has broken more than 250 stories, led to changes in state laws and won state and national awards. Our nonpartisan investigative news stories about Maine state government have become must-read material for anyone who cares about how their democracy is working. This position is based at the Maine Statehouse in Augusta, with occasional travel within Maine.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Implement development programs, including managing Fall and Spring appeals, researching grant opportunities, and writing grant applications and reports
- Maintain database of all contacts, including donors, readers, contributors and advisors
- Oversee all marketing programs, including social marketing campaigns, digital and social advertising campaigns, and other marketing efforts
- Assist with organizing occasional in-person marketing and development events, including private parties and public “Meet the Muckrakers” events
- Manage office accounting and operational systems, including processing invoices, ensuring that proper records are maintained for all donations and payments, and keeping registrations and accounts up-to-date
- Mastery of social and digital marketing best practices, including Facebook posts and ads, and Twitter posts. Knowledge of Google AdWords a plus.
- Competency with email marketing tools and practices
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) concepts and systems
- Basic accounting skills
- Strong written, oral and in-person communication skills
- Solid organizational skills
- Nonprofit and/or grant-writing experience a plus
32 hours per week
- Salary: $40,000 per year
- Fully paid individual health insurance
- Vacation and paid holidays
How to apply:
Email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Joshua Moore, Executive Editor, at email@example.com. (No phone calls, please.) Application deadline is October 24, 2016.